Tip of the Week

Monday, June 11, 2012

When life gives you strawberries and lemons . . .

Make Strawberry-Lemonade!  Strawberry season is still in full swing, so I decided to use a batch of strawberries to make lemonade.  Most of the time the strawberry-lemonade I have been served is overly sweet and sugary.  I am not into overly sugary drinks and by making it myself I can control the ingredients.  You can use different sweeteners in lemonade, but I find that pure cane sugar and honey does not dissolve easily or well in lemonade.  Instead I prefer regular cane sugar or agave nectar.

Here's the recipe, it's not exact:

6-10 organic lemons (more if you end up with little lemon juice)
2-3 small green baskets of organic strawberries
Organic agave nectar
1 bottle of sparkling water (I prefer San Pellegrino)

2. Wash lemons and using the ball of your hand, roll lemons on counter or chopping block.  Slice lemons in half and juice.  Any method of juicing citrus will work well.  Remove any seeds from juice.

2.  Wash strawberries, slice large ones in half.  Place in blender and puree with some lemon juice.

3.  Transfer strawberry puree to a glass juice container.  At this point you can strain if you do not like pulp.

4.  Add more lemon juice, I used about 2 cups in total.  Stir, taste, and add agave nectar (or other sweetener) to taste.

5.  Add sparkling water and chill for a few hours.

6.  Before serving, stir to recombine and serve over ice.


The foam occurred when adding sparkling water


2 comments:

  1. This looks luscious but I would have to use stevia as a sweetener. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of making or cooking things yourself. We can substitute one ingredient for another.

      Delete