Tip of the Week

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DIY: Comforter (Duvet or Quilt) Bag & Storage

This project idea came around after I ordered a comforter bag set several years ago.  I found and ordered one set from Overstock.com and used them to store my other comforters and quilts.  However, I recently found that I needed a few more to hold another quilt with throw pillows so that I could use the plastic zipper bag (the ones that sometimes come with a blanket or comforter) for a few other blankets.  I also have a few different quilts and comforters in my house.  Usually I have a quilt for the summer since the quilt is thinner than a traditional comforter.  And my comforter I save for winter to throw over a few thermal blankets to stay warm at night.  But this project can be tailored to fit your comforter, duvet, quilt, blanket, or pillows.

Again I used my extra sheets, the fitted sheet this time, and my extra cord stops to complete the project.  I also used my box of drawstrings and old shoelaces which came in handy.  I think my grandmother would be very proud of my resourcefulness, reusing items I have and expanding my sewing skills.

Materials:
1 fitted twin or twin xl sheet (or cotton fabric)
1 cord stop
1 drawstring
matching thread

Measurements:  Fabric 26 3/4- 27in wide, 86-87in long, Bag finished measurements 26in wide, 42in long

Note:  You can cut separate pieces that are over 26in wide and 43-44in long; 1 long piece (with measurements for fabric above); or one wide piece that is about 53in wide and 43-44in long.  Depends on what fabric or sheet you are using and if you want to save some of the work of stitching.

All seams are 1/4 in.

Instructions:

1. If using a fitted sheet, remove the corner stitching in all 4 ends.  Then using scissors cut along the edge to remove the fitted stretch stitching all around.

2.  Trim the two ends to make a square/rectangular piece of fabric.  You should be able to get two slightly smaller then the Overstock bags from 1 twin/twin xl fitted sheet.

3.  Measure fabric and mark measurements for your bag.  Cut fabric.

4.  Pin the wide edge about 1-1 1/2 in down on wrong side of fabric.  This will be the drawstring loop (just like yesterday's project for the table leaf). If using one long piece or 2 pieces you will have to pin on both wide ends.  If using one wide piece you will have one long  (about 53in) fold for the drawstring.

5.  Sew along the edge of fabric.  Be sure to sew along where the fold-over edge meets the other piece.  Not along the top.  You want to create a loop area.

6.  With right sides together attach all edges together to form the bag.  Pin in place, if desired.

7.  Sew along the edges.  If using one wide piece, you will sew the two edges that do not have the loop; if using 2 pieces you will be sewing three edges; and if you are using one long piece you will have two separate edges to sew.  Sew all the way to the previous stitch in step 5.

8.  Turn right-side out.

9.  Pull drawstring through entire piece and attach cord stop.  If you want to make a clean and professional piece you may want to add eyelets to each end for the drawstring to go through before you attach the cord stop.

10.  You are finished!

Step 1: Remove corner seam
Step 1: Cut and remove edge-stretch seam
  
Step 3: My cut piece of fabric before trimming

Step 4: Pin drawstring loop

Step 8: Finished sewing!

Drawstring in place

Overstock bag with eyelets and drawstring

All organized for storage!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks For sharing this blog. this is very useful for me and others.

    Navy Blue Bedding
    White Bed In A Bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you really delivered a great idea to keep holding the comforter or round comforters, duvet, quilt, blanket, or pillows. That's indeed remarkable and adorable. I like the way your brought the DIY project before us. Seriously I enjoyed so much.

    ReplyDelete