Tip of the Week

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chipotle Sloppy Joes Recipe

I was recently inspired to recreate my own sloppy joes recipe (I haven't eaten sloppy joes since I was a kid) when I was flipping through a magazine the other day.  The recipe I saw was for a barbeque sloppy joes on Texas toast, so I decided chiptole sloppy joes with sourdough bread would be a great revamp.

When I was a kid, my Mom used to make sloppy joes on occasion, which usually consisted of tomato sauce, ground beef and some spices.  So in order to recreate this recipe and also make it healthier I needed to add some diced veggies and I chose to use bison meat which is 90% lean instead of the usual ground beef.




Here's my recipe:

1 lb. ground bison meat
2-3 carrots, diced
1 large or 2 medium white/yellow onions, diced
6-8 baby bella mushrooms, diced
4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 chiptole peppers with some of the adobe sauce
1 24oz jar of chunky tomato sauce (more if you desire more tomato taste)
1-3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp agave nectar or honey, to taste
about 2 tbsp of cumin
1-2 tbsp chili powder
1-2 tsp mexican oregano
1-3 tsp smoked paprika
olive oil
Beer or wine, to deglaze
salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat a pan on medium heat with about a tbsp or so of olive oil, saute onions.  Add carrots after a few minutes of cooking onions and a little salt.  Saute until softened.

2.  Add mushrooms and garlic, cook until all are soft and aromatic, about 5-7 minutes.  Remove from pan and set aside.

3. In the same pan, add a little more olive oil and cook bison meat until there is no pink meat.  Add about 1/4 cup of beer or wine to deglaze pan.

4.  Add cooked veggies from step 2 to the meat, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and chiptole peppers.  Cook for about 2 minutes.

5.  Add the remaining spices and combine.  Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally.

6.  After about 15-20 minutes, taste the mixture, if you like the seasoning and taste, serve, or continue to cook a few more minutes.

7.  Serving suggestions, sourdough bread and avocado.  Garnish with parsley, basil or cilantro.

Other variations:  Add swiss chard, kale or collard greens, cauliflower or corn.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment