Tip of the Week

Monday, October 24, 2011

It's A Warm October Day . . .

Well it is, here in Northern California.  70 and 80 Degree temperatures are not our norm for this time of year.  My tomatoes are still ripening, as are my cucumbers and peppers.  I see no reason to dig them up, instead I am enjoying the vegetables.  However, several weeks ago who would have thought we are well into fall and winter here.  Winter storms with cold temperatures, even snow in Sierra Nevada Mountains.

My winter vegetable crops are partly planted.  Kale and Boston Lettuce, so far.  And those seeds are already sprouting.  I hope to get Swiss Chard and Collard Greens in soon.

If you think you can't grow any vegetables or herbs, think again.  Here is a quick project (I think I read something similar somewhere).  All you need is one (or two or more) of the plastic salad rectangle containers you buy salad/lettuce mixes in.  You can put a small whole or two in the bottom of the container.  Add soil, seeds, water and watch them grow.  Be sure you know how much sun the seeds need, otherwise your seeds may not sprout or grow as fast.

I planted some summer lettuce seed mixes in one and here is what I have already.

Give it a try.  You may be delightful surprised!
Happy Gardening

No comments:

Post a Comment