Tip of the Week

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pears: A Forgotten Fall Fruit?



Pears, seem to be an under-appreciated Autumn fruit compared to Apples.  There is more variety to pears than one might think from crunchy to soft and tart to sweet.  Here are quite a few of the more common pears you might see in the stores:

                                       Anjou
                                       Bartlett
                                       Bosc
                                       Comice
                                       Concorde
                                       Forelle
                                       Seckel

I find Bartlett Pears great for snacking, while Anjou and Bosc are great for salads and baking.  A great dessert recipe for pears and wine are poached pears.  My favorite recipe for baking Pears is the Pear-Almond Tart, which I recently baked with some Bartlett Pears I had left in my fruit basket.







No comments:

Post a Comment