Tip of the Week

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lemon-Ricotta Pancakes

Whether you love pancakes or don't, this recipe may change your mind.  Personally, I'm not a pancake fan and don't think pancakes make a good breakfast, but these lemon-ricotta pancakes are light and fluffy and make a great dessert or brunch dish.  In fair warning though, they can be addictive once you try them.  Even more so when you use homemade ricotta cheese (click here for my post on making ricotta).

This recipe is from another Williams-Sonoma cookbooks, Essentials of Breakfast & Brunch, click here for a link.  However, you can find the recipe on their website, just click here.  I usually pair these pancakes with blueberries or blackberries.  Strawberries just don't work with this dish, for me.  Though they are great by themselves too.

This recipe does call for buttermilk, but I find it can be hard sometimes to find organic buttermilk.  A great substitution if you can't find buttermilk, or don't have it on hand is to use whole milk or half-and-half.  Buttermilk is a bit sour or tangy compared to milk or half-and-half, so I add a dash of apple cider vinegar.  Depending on how much buttermilk is called for determines how much apple cider vinegar I will add.  Roughly about 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar for 2 cups of milk.  Note: Don't measure the full 2 cups of milk, the apple cider vinegar and milk should still measure 2 cups together, not more.

The other great gadget to use for this recipe and any other time you zest citrus is a Microplane grater.  I was given one for my birthday this year and I LOVE it.  Zesting the lemons were so easy, you barely touch the lemon to the grater and end up with a ton of zest.  If you usually use a normal grater, as I have in the past, this is the gadget for your wish list because you will be able to zest citrus much easier.

Now on to the results of this recipe:

The main ingredients (not all)


Look at that zest!

It will be slightly lumpy because of the ricotta

Egg white soft peaks - adds the light, fluffy texture to the panckaes

I use a ladle to pour the batter on the griddle


Looks like it's time to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment