I was ambitious this weekend and decided to tempt to make a 4 layer chocolate cake, but not any chocolate cake, a devil's food cake with dark chocolate. If you do not want a 4 layer cake, half all ingredients (frosting too) and if you prefer a sweeter chocolate, substitute milk chocolate for the semi-sweet and 87% chocolate in the frosting.
8 oz 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate (I like Ghirardelli)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted organic butter
1 cup sugar or packed brown sugar
2 tbsp light corn syrup or agave
2 cups sifted cake flour or all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
4 large organic eggs
1 (or 1 1/2) tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole organic milk
8 oz Semi-sweet chocolate
8 oz 60% Cacao Bittersweet chocolate
2 cups organic sour cream
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 4 cake pans and line with parchment paper.
2. In a double-boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate, butter, sugar, and corn syrup (agave). Stir occasionally until smooth. Remove from heat.
3. Sift flour, baking soda and cocoa powder. Gently fold in melted chocolate mixture.
4. Whisk egg, vanilla and milk. Add to flour/chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.
5. Divide evenly in 4 cake pans. Bake for about 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool. When cool, turn out of pans.
6. Make frosting. In a double-boiler, melt all chocolate until smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly. Beat in sour cream.
7. Spread some of the frosting on the first layer, and repeat for all layers. Then spread the remaining frosting around the edges of the cake. Let sit in a cool spot. Enjoy.