Tip of the Week

Monday, November 7, 2011

Roasting and Freezing Pumpkins

When Autumn comes around, I love cooking with Pumpkin.  Of course my favorite is pumpkin pie, but I have added  many other sweet and savory pumpkin recipes to my repertoire.  Again I found that canned pumpkin has BPA lining in the cans so what is a girl to do?  Well can my own!  Now don't worry if you think you will not be able to can foods, because you do not need a canning pot for this recipe.  You will freeze the pumpkin puree.


 Here are the instructions:

1. Cut the pumpkin (Organic Sugar Pumpkin preferably) in half. Be careful when cutting.
2.  Take all the seeds out (Click here for the post on using pumpkin seeds)
3.  Drizzle olive oil on edges of pumpkin flesh and rub over the pumpkin flesh.
4.  Place on baking sheet (line with foil if you want to make clean up easy), pumpkin flesh side down.
5.  Roast in 400 degree F oven for about 40-55 minutes.  Basically until fork tender.
6.  Allow to cool, then remove pumpkin flesh.
7.  Puree pumpkin flesh in a food processor.
8.  Place puree in freezable containers.  Ball has plastic (BPA free) containers as well as freezable glass.

That's it, you have pumpkin puree to use anytime.

My dogs even love the pumpkin puree on their dog food.  I also use the puree in baking dog treats from the Three Dog Bakery cookbook.  Sometimes I buy carving pumpkins to roast and puree for my dogs, instead of the Sugar pumpkins.

Essentially the Sugar pumpkins are smaller and sweeter, best for baking pies.  I love the Sugar pumpkins for soups, other desserts and savory dishes too.


Left: Ball BPA-free plastic freezer jar
Right: Canning jar with plastic lid


No comments:

Post a Comment