My first recipe was inspired by an episode of Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello - Sausage and Peppers. Click Here for the recipe. I used organic chicken sausages, so you can follow the recipe with substitutions. I also halved the amount of onions and peppers since I was not cooking for a large group, as well as leaving out the Serrano pepper and tomatoes (since they weren't in season at the time). After poaching the peppers (as the recipe states), I cut the sausages in half and grilled them for a little color and extra flavor.
|Sausage with peppers, feta cheese and toast.|
My second recipe involves the same Italian chicken sausage (it's great to buy the larger package and freeze it in portions). I used another portion for making kebabs with peppers, onions, eggplant and squash. I find kebabs are a great way to use several vegetables and leftover sausage on hand, plus it's quick and easy.
Bell peppers (any variety)
Eggplant (preferably Japanese)
Summer squash - Zucchini and/or Straight-neck
1. Soak the skewers in water for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Or use metal skewers, just rub a bit of olive oil on.
2. Slice sausage; dice in about 2 inch pieces all other ingredients.
3. In any order place all ingredients, alternating, on the skewers.
4. On a heated and lightly oiled grill place skewers. Every few minutes turn the skewers, depending on the heat temperature you will have to watch to avoid burning any side.
5. Serve with side dishes or your choice.