Sandwich & Fish Batter:
2 portions of cod (any size of your choice)
1 bottle of beer - preferable dark beer
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
Spice mixture - Ancho-Chili powder, Chiptole Chili powder, Chili powder, Paprika, Cumin, and a pinch of Cayenne (all to taste or about 1 tsp each)
Salt & Pepper
2-3 radishes - sliced thinly
Green leaf lettuce
Fresh baked bread, sliced - Pugliese or Sourdough works best
2-3 Dill pickles, chopped (you can substitute Bread & Butter or Sweet if you prefer)
1 teaspoon capers, chopped
1 cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp ground mustard powder
juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & Pepper
1. Salt and Pepper your cod portions. Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven.
2. Mix all dry ingredients for the batter, then add beer. Whisk until blended and no lumps.
3. Oil should be about 350 degrees. Dip cod 1 portion at a time in the batter and carefully place in oil. Fry, flipping once until golden brown. If you use a dark beer the batter will be darker.
4. Drain both fried pieces on a rack placed in a baking tray. (see picture)
5. Meanwhile mix all ingredients for Tartar sauce. Allow to chill in the refrigerator.
6. Slice bread and radishes.
7. Assemble sandwich and enjoy!
|A side of fries|
|Salt & Pepper your Cod portions|
|The Batter with spices|
|Homemade Tartar Sauce|
|Hot Oil! - Use Caution|
|Tray with rack to drain fried foods - Works great!|
|Sliced fresh bread|
|Assembling the Sandwich - radishes on the left, Tartar sauce on the right|
|Sandwich and fries - Dinner is served|