Fabric (enough for the size bag you are making)
Ribbon or drawstrings (2 pieces, each should be longer than the measurement of both top pieces together)
All seams are 1/4 inch
1. Decide on the size your finished bag should be. Add about 1-2 inches to the measurements for the seams and another 1-2 inches to each of the top sides, this will ensure that you will have enough fabric for the drawstring. (If you have a large/wide ribbon or drawstring you may need to add more inches to your measurements)
2. Measure and cut your fabric pieces. Again you may cut one long piece, so when folded over it equals your desired bag size, but your drawstrings won't be threaded through or look like mine. I cut two pieces.
3. Iron if needed. Pin top edges (wrong sides together) about 1-2 inches down. Depending on the size of your ribbon or drawstring you may have to pin more than 1-2 inches.
4. Sew along bottom edge of pinned section from Step 3 on 1 side ONLY (about 1/4 inch from raw fabric edge). Repeat for other piece.
5. Sew along top edge about 1/4 to 1/2 inch down from top. Repeat for for other piece.
6. Pin both pieces, right sides together. Iron if needed.
7. Sew along all 3 sides (if you cut 2 pieces). Or sew along 2 sides if you cut 1 one long piece. Sew from the bottom seam from Step 4. Do Not sew above it or you will not be able to thread your drawstring through.
8. Clip corners and turn right side out.
9. Thread ribbon/drawstring through one side and around through the other side. You will end up with the ends of one piece on the same side. Repeat with the second piece, starting from the opposite end.
|Finished Step 4 & 5|
|Drawstring and width of top edge|
|One drawstring threaded through both sides|
|Threading through second drawstring|
|It will seem odd threading the drawstrings pass the other drawstring|
|All Finished and ready for use!|